Tourists and locals angry at Machu Picchu snafu

0

The town’s merchants were also very unhappy, with dozens blocking the railway line to prevent the movement of trains.

“We demand the sale of tickets at the offices of the Ministry of Culture of Machu Picchu, and 50% of its totality in person (…) to reactivate our economies,” the traders said in a statement.

This is the second protest in just over two weeks over the lack of tickets to enter the Stone Citadel – Peru’s most visited attraction.

On July 27, available tickets were sold out due to overbooking.

Given the demonstrations this Friday, the Ministry of Culture said it had ordered the continuation of the sale of entrance tickets in person, respecting the limit set to protect the archaeological heritage.

Indeed, over the past two weeks, “average admission to the Llaqta (citadel) of Machu Picchu has remained below admission capacity,” the ministry said in a statement.

The city is located at the foot of the 2,430 m high mountain on which stands the famous stone citadel built in the 15th century by the Inca emperor Pachacutec.

UNESCO declared the citadel of Machu Picchu a World Heritage Site in 1983. Since then, the organization has asked Peru to comply with a series of guidelines to preserve the place.

Share.

Comments are closed.